Friday, June 24, 2011

Week 2 Thoughts on Mobile Learning - Twitter

I started using Twitter this week and found it to be very interesting from the perspective of how easy it is to use, but yet how difficult it is to post a thought in under 140 characters.  I used Twitter on both my laptop and mobile phone; I was traveling to White Plains, NY so I had some opportunities to use it.  I started with a nonsensical posting about being at the airport, just to give it a try.  But later in the day as I was reading through familiar technology blogs I noticed how easy it was to post an article or video to share with those following me; right now that is just 6 other people, maybe that will grow over time?  Now that I have 10 tweets under my belt, including tweets with links to pictures and videos, it is easier for me to understand why Twitter is so popular – it is truly easy to use, but the experience is pretty much the same on my laptop or my Nexus One. 

But that led to my next question, which would pertain to blogs in general: what value I am producing in my blogging and micro-blogging that will attract people to follow me?  I am not particularly witty or all that interesting.  I am sharing interesting content pertaining to mobile learning, e-learning and mobile technologies, but it is not as though I am producing any ground breaking content that I feel is worthy of placing up on Twitter.  Over the course of the semester I hope to do so, but not yet.

In relating my use of Twitter to the Christensen reading, tools like Twitter can be one of many resources for starting down the path of student centered learning.  Maybe Twitter allows teachers to distribute resources they come across to specific students or groups students based on their needs?  I understand Christensen argues for computer-based learning to facilitate student centered learning, but as these systems evolve, maybe a lower tech solutions would be a start down the path to student centered learning where the teacher has more control over the path they are guiding their students by using Twitter as a distribution mechanism?  One of the articles I read this week, which is linked below, discusses faculty having multiple Twitter identities.  Having multiple identities maybe provide teachers the ability distribute appropriate learning materials to students as students follow one of their teacher’s identities?

Over the course of this week I tweeted the following articles I thought I would share on my blog in case you did not see these on Twitter (@bradbeecher).

This video details Stanford University’s use of mobile technologies, the team at Stanford later sold their product to Blackboard and became Blackboard Mobile:

I read the Chronicle of Higher Education quite frequently; this is one blog they run called Prof Hacker – Tips about Teaching, technology and productivity.  I found some interesting postings here:

Another article from the Chronicle, University of Western Ontario is a large publisher of case studies. Their business school will be the first major publisher to distribute cases through iTunes and the iBookstore.

This is an innovative use of Twitter for teaching, the entire article is good, but the last couple of sentences are very good:

I think augmented reality is pretty interest, but it is a technology still in its infancy.  This posting is not focused on education, but it does show some of AR’s potential:

This is another article focused on Twitter, it discusses how professors are managing dual identities through Twitter:

This is a bit more light-hearted, but it reminded me of Christensen’s focus on student centered learning.  If you do not have Xfinity, you can probably find this on Hulu, but once you load the link scroll ahead to 17 minutes and about 35 seconds.  This is where Lisa Simpson meets her new teacher:
http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv/The-Simpsons/3745/1642737557/Lisa-Simpson%2C-This-Isn-t-Your-Life/videos?skipTo=0?skipTo=0

I am adding this last link to my blog posting after I wrote the initial post.  I found this site last summer while taking EPSY 415, it is an update to Bloom's taxonomy -> Bloom's Digital Taxonomy.  I found this very interesting to review last year and I come back to this site from time to time:
http://edorigami.wikispaces.com/Bloom's+Digital+Taxonomy


No comments:

Post a Comment